Friday, December 10, 2010

A special bond

Tiny is the only lucky one in our family enjoy the loving company of his great grandmother (my grandmother). Like I mentioned in one of my posts, my g'dad passed away a few hours before Tiny was born..almost like making way for a new life. So Tiny holds an important place in my g'mom's heart and they share a special bond! She is just so amazing with him. The way she hold him, sings him to sleep, plays with him..just everything! Almost like they understand each other. They communicate in a way no one else understands.

At 79 years of age, I can easily say that my grand mom has seen the best and the worst that life has to offer. She has lost children, gone through multiple miscarriages before she gave birth to a healthy child. Then came difficulties of all kinds. She sailed through the toughest of storms without as much as wincing. She developed severe arthritis almost 22 years ago and now doesn't know what it is like to be free of any pain. Despite this, she has much much more energy than any of her daughters or even grand children! She still has so much enthusiasm for life and has only improved with time. She tries out the latest recipes so that her grand children enjoy what she cooks, she hand stitches fashionable bags similar to the ones that cost hundreds of rupees in retail stores, makes sure that her gifts to people are all handmade and full of love and affection.

Because of her severe arthritis, she finds it difficult to walk around inside the house, let alone going out. I don't remember when she last went out of town. Tatha was unwell for almost 3 months before he passed away on 25 Sep and all she said was " I've been preparing myself for this for almost 2 years now, but didn't imagine it would all get over so soon!" And when Tiny was born the next day, she called to congratulate me. My mom told her that i was in tears and that I didn't have the courage to speak to her..she said 'This is not the time to mourn over what has passed by..it is a time to rejoice and celebrate the arrival of a brand new life'. She also decided to travel all the way to Mumbai to join in the celebrations and also because she couldn't wait for 5 long months to see Tiny for the first time.

In my opinion, she is the strongest woman i have ever known. Hats off to her! I love you Ajji :)

I am so happy Tiny has an opportunity to know my grand mother. May he grow up to know the amazing woman that she is and learn to respect and care for elders.

My grandmother decorating Tiny's cradle for his naming ceremony






3 comments:

  1. Hi Bhavana,
    I am Yogita, we have never met, I live in California ...my mom Vijaya and your mom are cousins - This pc about your Grandma prompted me to write ... I am seeing your Grandma's pics after many many years .. she looks a lot like her aunts - Prabha Aunty and my Grandma Lalita. My aunts Paddu Aunty, Shanti Aunty were quite close to her and always had a special place for 'Kalavati' ... My Mom and Aunts would say she is the most talented person ever ! Her Embroidery and Rangoli were the best... any show/ store or anybody's house or wedding we would go they always said nobody can beat Kalavati's rangoli and embroidery -- I remember them saying Nimmage gottu-illa Kalavati ashtu channagi rangloi , embroidery , kai kelasa yaaru madalla' -- i still remember those words ringing in my ears !!

    A special tribute to her - aptly named Kalavati - from Late Paddu Aunty, Late Shanti Aunty, my mom Vijaya and me !!

    Yogita

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) thanks for this Yogita..Ajji just read your message. Conveys here regards to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bhav I'm visiting your blog for the first time now ... amazing memories of beautiful days with kalavathi aunty, your mom Mani and Das mama and the whole 'jing-bang' lot as we used to say in the old days at 2632, 2mn main Road VV Mohalla, Mysore 2 ....

    Puttu is sweeeet and its lovely seeing you all here Bhav. Mani has become so patient and sweet and am sure is spoiling you and puttu mochu bujji grandson all the way :))) Huge HUGS from uma aunty kane' ... love you all :)

    ReplyDelete