Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Playthings

Tiny is alost 3 months old now. He can see clearly, recognizes familiar people, voices and places, loves to see anything new and colourful, grasps things that come close to his hand, laughs out loud, curls his lower lip to make a perfect crying-face, catches hold of my manglsutra and pulls himself up(!!!), rolls down from the lap, turns over when am holding him in my arms and kuchiku-wuchiku-kissy-wissy him and so much more.

So, while at the mall recently, shopping for sweaters for him, I wanted to buy some toys for the little thing. I saw some small micro bead turtles and frogs and dogs. Tempted, I picked up one animal each, tossed 2 sweaters into the shopping bag and went to the counter for billing. Somehow, when shown the bill, I calculated and re-calculated and checked the items and asked the fellow to check the prices properly. I realized that the finger-sized toys were priced at an obnoxious Rs 499 each!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Promptly and shamelessly, I picked out all the toys and placed them where I'd picked them up from. I attracted some strange looks from others in the store. I didn't care. It just doesn't make sense spending about Rs 2000 on 4 teeny-weeny stuffed toys for a 3-month old infant who doesn't even know what he is looking at. Also somehow nothing can justify spending so much on toys. Little kids get bored of stuff very quickly, they throw them around break them, spill stuff on them and what not. So when something simpler and less expensive can entertain them just as much, why not. Here are a few things that have Tiny's attention, make him laugh and play by himself four hours together.

With his kangaroo skull cap!

His FAVOURITE fruit bear & strawberry towel

Yes those are some red leaves that Tiny is staring at. 

Some colourful pieces of cloth tied to a white string. He just loves looking at this :)

2 comments: