Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Exploring a new country together

It was exactly around this time in 2013 that S and I did a recce to Singapore. Just the 2 of us, leaving baby back home in the comfort of his Ajjibear's arms. S made up his mind of wanting to move to Singapore, and I have always maintained home will be where S is. So he decided to move countries.

Earlier this year, we made our first trip to Singapore as a family and it was Tiny's maiden trip to a foreign country. I had my parents for support and they really managed Tiny well, through the journey and even at home. I don't know what it was - nervousness or some fear of the unknown, but I was in a nasty mood through the trip. All 15 days. And to top it up, Tiny was at his constipated worst. Poor baby. And within 3 days of getting back to India, he would start with his new school. His first time at a big school. I think all the anxiety and mixed emotions about having to manage by myself in Bangalore while S tries to settle down here and make things a lot more comfortable by the time we move was just making me cranky. But I had to deal with it. And I did.

I was back in Singapore for 12 days last month, to help S move houses. We moved to a place which is likely to be 'home' to us for several years to come. We moved. Settled down. Started cooking. And I went back without any clue of how soon I would be back here again.

Now, This was the second time this year that I had to leave Tiny back in Blr while I traveled. He usually copes well, but I think my anxiety rubbed off on him and he started developing insecurities. He would panic if we were not to be seen for a few minutes. It was of little surprise that when S made an impromptu plan that we all go back with him to Singapore, within 2 weeks of being back in Bangalore, and stay there for a couple of months, I jumped at the offer. It was just what Tiny and I wanted - time together - the 3 of us - our small family, together. So we packed in 2 days, got permission from Tiny's school, shopped for staples at record speed. And flew all the way to Singapore. :)

This time around, Tiny hardly took any time to adjust to the new home. He familiarized himself with the layout the moment he stepped in. It is after a very long time that Tiny and I are in each other's company the whole day, without getting time off from each other. Like when's out at school or when I step in to office for a few hours, leaving him with his grandmother. It's almost like we're just discovering much much fun it can be to spend time with each other! I've actually left my fears behind and except for meetings, I've decided I'll take him along wherever I go. So, in the one week that we've been here, I've taken Tiny on his first Double decker bus ride (oh he was soooo thrilled and kept squealing throughout), took him for a haircut, and yesterday went looking for a courier company across town.

I must say, he's been great company. He's also slightly more grown up and the big school has taught him additional social skills, so it's a lot easier. He's not as brash as the previous time - running out of the MRT at every stop (!!!). He's a lot more patient and understands when I tell him that he needs to wait for our stop or that we need to wait for our turn in a queue etc. And...it's so much fun talking to him. Looking at the world through his eyes. Stopping to look at wild flowers growing off the pavement or to look at ants marching in a line or to see car or monster shaped clouds floating through blue skies. We've also stuck to the routine which we followed in Bangalore, so the familiarity of the routine is doing him some good. We're spending more than 2 hours of quiet time with books and colours. Yes, am really enjoying my 4 year old's company.

Am sure this trip will be a memorable one for so many reasons!! Looking forward to the next 3 weeks of exclusive time with my little boy who's growing up so so fast. 

No comments:

Post a Comment