Tuesday, June 4, 2013

A brand new year at school

Re-admission. Check. Orientation program for parents. Check. Collect school kit. Check. Control enthu toddler who wants to run into school every time he passes by...:) check! 

I was never much of a school person. All stories of my first few years of schooling start and end with tears. Because of my dad's transferable job, We changed cities and I changed schools almost every year till high school. The obvious problems being letting go of friends whom I'd just started to get along with and making new friends all over again. I never quite settled down and in 29 years, I have just 1 friend, that too from junior college, who I've managed to stay close to. 

For Tiny, it's going to be different. With our businesses headquartered in Bangalore, am assuming we won't pack up and move cities often. We plan on taking admission into a proper school next year, when he's old enough. Till then, it's the play home next to home, where he'll spend a few hours every day with other children his age. 

Tiny started school at 1.8 years...mostly because I needed some help in keeping an overly active toddler constructively engaged while I balanced other aspects of our lives like work, domestic chores etc. the beginning was troublesome. He'd end up going to school only 3 days a week. Most days I would get a call from school asking to pick him up as he was standing by the gate and crying. I was even tempted to stop school and start afresh the next year, when he'd be older, and probably more prepared to manage on his own. We even discussed it with his teachers and decided that we'd try for one more month and if nothing charges, we could stop school. Then something changed.

. I did not send him to school of,r a whole week and he would sit by the window watching parents drop his friends off at school. And he suddenly wanted to go to school. Just like that. Without any fuss.  No effort from our end. And when he did get back, he was a different person, as the teachers told me. He enjoyed being with other children. Loved sand-pit and splash pool time. Looked forward to singing and dancing sessions. Enjoyed the group activities. And I thanked God for that!

Ever since the vacations started over 2 months ago, Tiny has been looking forward to getting back to school. In fact, every time we crossed the school during our evening walks, he'd just stand there, peep through the gates and ask me how much longer it would be before he went to school again! The good news came last week. By courier. An invitation to their orientation programme along with a schedule for collecting the school kits. :) 

So my big boy is all set, with his new waker bokel, snack box, uniform and a cap, to go to school tomorrow! Here's to a great year ahead..full of fun and of course, lots of learning! 

                      

No comments:

Post a Comment